Wednesday, March 2, 2022

AYWMC: Part 2 Lesson 4: Advanced Composition Techniques

 This post is part of a series entitled A Year With My Camera
 
Lesson 2.4 in my own words
  • Think about what you're trying to say with your photographs. How do you want them to speak to the viewer?
  • Composition is the language of photography. It's the backbone of a photograph.
  • Think about:
    • Where do you put everything in the frame?
    • What do you leave out?
    • How do the elements relate to one another?
    • How can you use these principles to translate the scene you see into the finished image you see in your head?
  • With practice, composition will come naturally.

This week's project
  • Answer this question - "Why do you take photographs?"
  • Try some of these advanced composition techniques:
    • Visual weight 
      • What elements draw the viewer's attention? 
      • Do they compete with or distract from your chosen focal point?
    • What's leaving the frame? Don't let cut-off objects on edges distract from the subject.
    • What's overlapping? Give each element it's own space.

Why do I take photographs? I've been thinking about this and have pinpointed two reasons: documentation and communication. I don't see myself as an artist, so my photography isn't driven by a desire to create. Neither an I trying to elicit an emotional response from the viewer. Rather, my motive is to record the when, how, and why of our lifestyle, including its sorrows and joys. Even so, I want my photos to be interesting to look at and aesthetically pleasing. And I do enjoy the creative challenge to make them that way. So, I suppose I can add "personal satisfaction" to the reasons why I take photographs.

Practicing the composition techniques.

Visual weight: the eye is repeatedly drawn to the subject. I like that
there is good contrast with the background, and that the branches 
create diagonal leading lines, all leaning toward the subject.

What's leaving the frame? I understand this concept, but my usual method of
photography is simply to take a bunch of pictures and then crop them in Gimp.

Now, I'm trying to be more deliberate in analyzing the composition
of my shots beforehand. For this one, I changed my point-of-view.

Overlapping. Taking photos of animals is tough because they don't pose and they don't stay put.

Even though their bodies are overlapping, I think this photo
works because each of their heads has a defined space.

And that concludes part two of A Year With My Camera

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Leigh, that is an interesting question: Why do I take pictures? In my case, it is similar to yours: Documentation and Communication of places. I seldom include people in mine, as I like the subjects to speak for themselves (also, I do not that I am all that photogenic....).

I have found this helpful though - as I have said before, it does help me think a bit about my own pictures.

Leigh said...

TB, there's something to be said for striving to do the best we can with whatever we put our hands to. One of the "rules" for this particular course is that we compare ourselves to no one but ourselves. I'm not competitive, so I really like that. And I like the challenge to improve myself with both knowledge and skills. It keeps life interesting. :)