Tuesday, February 1, 2022

AYWMC: Aperture Study

My "A Year With My Camera" lessons arrive in my inbox on Wednesday evenings. I really look forward to them because I am enjoying this course and learning a lot. This week's email said we got a break this week for completing the first module of the course. I confess to being disappointed! But I did get a badge to display, so here it is.


So, this was a good week to review and practice the lessons about the technical aspects of photography. I've dabbled some in it for my everyday photography, but admit that none of it is intuitive yet. I still have to dip into my brain and recall the details and steps of the settings I want to work with. 

For this week's personal study, I thought I'd dig deeper into aperture, as one of the three things that controls exposure. I use the aperture priority mode on my camera comfortably. However, even though I have manual control of aperture in this mode, the camera still adjusts shutter speed and ISO to "correct" exposure. So, I haven't actually seen the results of my aperture choices in terms of exposure. I did two experiments to further explore aperture and my camera.

Experiment #1 was to take a series of photos on aperture priority mode, changing aperture with each photo. Then I checked to see what changes the camera made for each photo.

Aperture f/8.0, shutter speed 1/98 sec., ISO 100

Aperture f/11.0, shutter speed 1/82 sec., ISO 160

Aperture f/16.0, shutter speed 1/80 sec., ISO 320

Aperture f/22.0, shutter speed 1/82 sec., ISO 640

Aperture f/32.0, shutter speed 1/82 sec., ISO 1250

My observations:
  • The exposure stayed the same; only depth of field changed.
  • I changed the aperture.
  • The camera kept shutter speed about the same.
  • The camera increased ISO one full stop for each stop I changed the aperture.
  • This follows the rules of the exposure triangle.

Experiment #2 was to switch to manual mode and choose a mid-range shutter speed (1/64th second) and ISO (400). Then I took another series of photos, increasing aperture (which decreases the lens opening, which decreases light) with each photo.

Aperture f/4.0

Aperture f/5.6

Aperture f/8.0

Aperture f/11.0

Aperture f/16

Aperture f/22

Nothing profound or surprising in this exercise, but it was good to see with my own eyes what I've been reading about. I'm also pleased that I was about to find my way around manual mode a little easier. Practice really helps.

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

First Set: I can clearly see the difference in the last photograph, but not in the first two.

Second Set: Change is clearly visible.

I do like the daffodils!

Leigh said...

TB, we have daffodils blooming everywhere, which make for a very nice subject. Everything else is gray and brown from all the cold. Not much growing!