Sunday, February 13, 2022

AYWMC: Part 2 Lesson 2: Single Focal Point

 This post is part of a series entitled A Year With My Camera.
 
Lesson 2.2 in my own words
  • Where do you put your subject?
    • Consider viewpoint first.
    • Next, decide precisely where in the frame to put the subject.
  • Why just one subject?
    • The viewer will instinctively search the photo for something to rest their eyes on.
    • Without a distinct focal point, the image conveys chaos, unsettledness, randomness, restlessness
    • One distinct focal point gives the viewer something to find and look at.
  • The photographer's goal is to compose the photo in a manner that leads their eye to that focal point.

This week's project
  • Using just one subject, choose at least one of the following composition techniques with which to experiment.
    • Rule of thirds - Imagine the frame divided into thirds (vertical and/or horizontal). Place the subject on one of the imaginary lines that divides the frame into thirds.
    • Leading Lines - Visual prompts that lead the eye to the subject. For example: footpaths, walls, shadows, etc.
    • Background separation - Use distinct contrast between the subject and the background. For example: color, light and dark, texture, depth of field, etc.

Rule of thirds

And in case you couldn't visualize what I meant by rule of thirds in my description, here's the same photo with the grid lines Gimped on.

Rule of thirds grid

Leading lines

Background separation

What I learned

This lesson was a refresher for me. I didn't learn anything new, but I had an opportunity to practice it with the camera.

2 comments:

Toirdhealbheach Beucail said...

Interesting Leigh. I had not thought of it in that way before, but I can see where the eye always "looks" for a subject. And the dividing into thirds is easy enough.

Leigh said...

TB, I've really been happy with this course because she explains things really well, and then gives baby step assignments to become familiar with the topic. I'm also glad we're taking it slow! I feel like I'm a better photographer already.